This form must be completed in order to nominate an individual, community group, government or organisation for consideration for a Pacific Islands Environment Leadership Award (PIELA). All questions must be completed for a nomination to be considered by the PIELA Decision Panel. The deadline for submitting completed nomination forms is 30th November 2019. Nomination forms are to be submitted to SPREP either by email or post.
- via email: send the completed nomination form to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that the email subject includes "PIELA Nomination";
- via post: send the completed nomination form to “PIELA Nomination”, c\- SPREP, P.O. Box 240, Apia, SAMOA. Only nominations post-marked on or before 30th November, 2019 will be considered.
Focus of the Awards
PIELAs will be given for outstanding achievement in the following thematic areas related to environmental sustainability in the 21 Pacific island Members within the SPREP mandate:
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem protection - achievements in protecting terrestrial and marine species and ecosystems, establishing and managing protected areas, linkages to sustainable livelihoods
- Environmental governance - achievements relating to establishment and implementation of national laws and policies, regional frameworks, and community-based management initiatives for all environmental issues
- Climate change adaptation and resilience- innovative solutions for ecosystem-based adaptation at community, sub-national and national levels
- Waste management and pollution control – innovative solutions and initiatives to reduce and/or improve waste management and pollution control at the sub-national and national levels
The PIELA Categories
- PIELA for excellence in national leadership in environmental sustainability and conservation
- PIELA for excellence in community leadership in environmental sustainability and conservation
- PIELA for excellence in leadership and innovation in environmental media
- PIELA for excellence in youth leadership in environmental sustainability and conservation
- Champion of the Pacific Environment - eligible from any category but considered by the Award Panel to be the outstanding nominee for the current award period
- PIELA lifetime achievement for excellence in Pacific environmental leadership
Presentation of PIELA
The PIELAs will be presented at the 10th Pacific Islands Conference on Nature Conservation and Protected Areas, held in Noumea, New Caledonia 20 – 24 April, 2020. The awards event will be open to all conference delegates to attend.
For categories A, B, C and D a high quality framed award certificate will be presented. For categories E and F a high quality sculptured trophy will be awarded.
Any individual, community, non-governmental organisation, country or project can be nominated for a PIELA. Nominations will be received by SPREP, as the Secretariat for the PIELAs. The PIELA Decision Panel will review all nominations through a rigorous vetting process based on the criteria below and make the final decisions on the allocation of awards. The Decision Panel will comprise of suitably qualified and experienced professionals. Nominations will be taken for categories A, B, C, D, and F only. The Decision Panel will select the winner of category E from across all categories.
Core Selection Criteria
- The initiatives, actions, projects, programmes and/or research of nominees has made a significant and lasting contribution to Pacific islands environmental sustainability at community, national and/or regional level.
- The contribution of a nominee reflects innovative approaches environmental management and conservation by a community or country or territory, including policy and/or institutional change and local people's empowerment.
- Conservation of an endangered species or threatened ecosystems.
- The application of original, innovative research that contributes to environmental sustainability.
- Raising awareness of the importance of our environment through exceptional news articles by in Pacific media.
- Special consideration will be given to initiatives that are inspirational, practical and replicable exemplars.
Further Assessment Considerations
- What are the achievements/actions of the nominee and how have they made a positive impact on the environment?
- Have these actions made any unintentional negative impact? For example, is the work linked with corporate companies with poor environmental profiles, have these actions had a negative impact on people, etc?
- Do these actions link to other social and cultural platforms (e.g., traditional methods used, development and education of youth, whole communities working together)?
- Does the nomination have sound references to support it? Any commendations from country leaders, media articles, journal papers, etc?
- What were the key challenges that the nominee faced and how did the nominee overcome these?
- Can the actions of the nominee serve as inspiration for others to use or replicate?
- Open call for nominations for Awards: 20th June, 2019
- Deadline for submission of nominations: 30th November, 2019
- Notification of Award winners: 31st January, 2020
- Official presentation of awards: 20th April, 2020